In a world of tight schedules, harmful pollution, chemically-laden products, high anxiety, and environmental toxin overload, it is impossible for our skin not to feel and show the effects of it all! Thankfully, with a little commitment, you can maintain your skin's natural beauty in the comfort of your own home! Keep reading to get some tips and simple at-home methods to reduce stress, maintain your radiant skin, and decrease the signs of aging!
Cleansing Your Skin
The first step in caring for your skin is to properly cleanse it! Perspiration, grease, dust, stale make-up, dirt, and bacteria all collect on your skin and must be completely removed. There are many different skin types; oily, dry, sensitive, and prone to acne. Different cleansers do better with each individual type based on the pH and other varying factors. Cleansing helps to clean the skin, open the pores, and allows for the skin to best absorb the products you are going to apply. If you wear a good amount of make-up, you may want to first use a makeup remover to get the majority of the make-up off your face prior to cleansing.
To properly cleanse, begin by wetting the face with lukewarm water. Apply the cleanser that is best for your skin type on your face and neck and gently massage in a circular, upward motion for at least five minutes (duration also depends on the instructions provided with the cleanser you are using). Remove by using a damp washcloth and warm water to ensure all of the residue is removed from the face.
Toning Your Skin
Next, tone your skin using skin freshener (mild), skin tonic (medium strength), or an astringent lotion (strong). Toning is important because it helps remove any remaining greasiness on your skin after the cleansing process is complete. It helps to close pores and maintain the skin's natural pH, and if you intend to use makeup, it leaves a smooth clean texture which will hold foundation and powder much longer.
Nourishing Your Skin
Nourishing your skin is also an essential part of any beauty routine. Dirt, dust, hot and cold weather, cosmetics, and even sunlight, all tend to dry out the skin, robbing it of moisture and oil. Consequently, making sure to cleanse your face each night before bed is essential to younger looking skin. Skin "foods" or moisturizers attempt to replenish nourishment to the skin, reviving its natural healthiness. Again, different moisturizers work well for different skin types. If your skin is more on the oily side, avoid moisturizers that contain oils and opt for one that contains glycerin instead. If you have drier skin, applying a moisturizer right after washing your face is beneficial to prevent drying and to get moisturizer locked in right away. If you have neutral skin, you can usually get away with using a product that contains oil or glycerin. Just make sure to look for a product for neutral skin types.
A facial is the quickest way of cleansing, reviving, and brightening faded skin, leaving the skin light, soft and glowing. A facial also does a thorough job of relaxing frazzled nerves so that you emerge not only looking younger but also feeling fresher and more relaxed! A facial once or twice each month will ensure rejuvenated and fresh skin for a long time to come!
If it is in your budget to seek out a spa or professional for your facial, find someone who uses professional products and pays attention to your skin type. However, if you do not have the time or cannot afford the luxury of regular salon treatments, you can give yourself a facial at home! Choose a time when you can be undisturbed and quiet, and get everything ready before you start so that you can relax and really enjoy it!
Follow the routine below for a quick, at-home facial:
- Tie your hair away from your face and neck, using a headband to pull any remaining hair away from your forehead.
- Begin by removing your makeup either using makeup remover wipes, coconut oil or another method to remove all residue from the face. Cleanse your face and neck with a good cleanser and thoroughly remove.
- The next step is a gentle exfoliation to remove dead skin cells, dirt, and bacteria allowing the skin to best absorb the other products.
- Prepare a face mask suited to your skin type. On a thoroughly cleansed and exfoliated face, spread a fairly thick layer avoiding the mouth area and creating large circles round the eyes. Then, lie on your back and keep the mask on for 15 to 20 minutes or until dry. There are many options for creating an amazing mask at home but the one we love the most is a simple concoction of organic honey and fresh avocado.
- When the mask is dry, wash your face and neck with lukewarm water, keeping your eyes closed. Dry your skin and apply your favorite toner that is best for your skin type.
- Lastly, now that the skin is thoroughly cleansed, exfoliated, and the pores are open, it is time to apply skin serum and/or moisturizer to the face. Spend some time massaging it in using upward, circular motions.